Protecting Your Commercial Property
How Secondary Damage Can Make Commercial Flooding Worse
If your business floods, your first concern may be the rising water itself. While this is certainly a problem, it’s also important to avoid secondary damage. The increased levels of humidity in the room can cause black mold to spread. Here are a few ways you can avoid this problem after a flood in Greenwood, IN:
- Call a restoration company immediately
- Thoroughly clean all damaged items
- Keep an eye out for signs of mold for a few weeks after restoration
It’s essential for business owners to follow each of these steps to stop the damage. Furthermore, understanding how secondary damage occurs can help you avoid it.
Plenty of Humidity
Even a few inches of water can significantly increase the humidity levels in a room. This high humidity means that there is a lot of water in the air. That moisture in the air then sticks to the walls, surfaces, and furniture in the area.
Moisture Leads to Mold
When the water in the air lands on particular surfaces, it can begin to grow black mold. Unfortunately, that means that the mold grows in places where you may not expect it.
How does moisture make mold? Mold spores are all around us. However, without the necessary water levels, they don’t grow into anything dangerous. Once humidity rises in your business, those previously harmless mold spores become a problem.
The Clock is Ticking
The very second water spills into your business, you’re on a timer to prevent mold and other problems. In most cases, you have only 24 to 48 hours until the mold is visible. This is one of the reasons it is important to call SERVPRO of Indianapolis South immediately.
Black mold and other secondary damage can make flooding in your business worse than it already would have been. Be sure to contact SERVPRO of Indianapolis South as soon as you see signs of flooding and avoid this problem altogether. Visit www.SERVPROindianapolissouth.com or call 317-784-3008 for more information on commercial water damage.
Important Steps to take for Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
6 Critical Steps During Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Fire is amongst the worst disasters that can affect the running of a business and can halt operations for a long period due to damage to the business office and various office equipment. Therefore, it is imperative that the business owner initiates a fire damage restoration process as soon as possible to reverse the immense fire damage to the business. This will significantly assist in getting the business back in operation as fast as possible. It is important to use a fire restoration company as they provide other beneficial services other than just fire restoration. Here are six important steps a business owner should adhere to during a business’s fire damage restoration process.
1. Have an emergency contact
It is imperative that a business owner should have the emergency contacts of a fire restoration company as they offer immediate emergency services. This means that they will avail their services as soon as they are contacted and offer immediate relief services that will save the business thousands of dollars. In addition to putting out the fire together with the fire department, the fire restoration personnel will prevent the spreading of the fire and damage to the rest of the business property.
2. Damage Assessment
The next step conducted by the restoration company in this process is assessing the extent of fire damage to the business property. This step entails assessing how far the soot, smoke, and fire have traveled and the extent of damage to the furniture and walls of the property. The damage assessment step is important as it provides an accurate and realistic damage report that assists in making an action plan, accurate cost of restoration and the exact time frame to conduct the restoration.
3. Sealing and Tarping Services
As the restoration of the damaged process begins, it is imperative that the fire damage restoration company prevent further damage to the business property by offering sealing and tarping services. This aims to avoid increasing the restoration costs for the business owner as well as completing the restoration process within the set time frame. Luckily, this process can be executed concurrently with other restoration processes such as water damage restoration process. This ensures that any identified water leak or water pipe damage is fixed within the shortest time possible to avoid spreading of water all over the business property and causing more damage.
4. Damage Clean Up
When all sealing and tarping services are complete, the fire damage restoration company proceeds to next stage, which entails cleaning and clearing up the fire damaged area. This process involves cleaning away the soot, dust, and smoke from the surfaces of the business property. In most cases, a building’s walls and other surfaces appear charred, dark and stained. Therefore, cleaning of the surfaces plays a big role in ensuring the business property regains its normal look. Other damage restoration processes such as repairing water leaks and damaged water pipes are done and completed at this stage. Finally, removing and disposing all damaged items from the property marks the end of the clean-up phase. These include office furniture and other equipment that are beyond repair due to fire damage or water contamination. It is important that the business owner replaces such items with new ones to avoid future restoration and repair expenses.
5. Damage Repair and Property Restoration
This step entails restoring damaged furniture and other office equipment with new ones as well as repairing damaged office property such as installing new wall cabinets and repainting the office walls. This step ensures the business premises return to its former glory. However, other than conducting restoration activities, the business owner is presented with the opportunity to introduce and carry out new renovations to the business property. This will leave the business property looking even better than before, with new furniture, new office design, and a complete property facelift.
After the completion of the fire damage restoration process, the fire damage restoration company can offer free advice, video tutorials or even short seminars on various ways to prevent fires in the future, better office designs and fire detection devices that can help detect smoke and fire within the business premises.
Visit www.SERVPROIndianapolisSouth.com or call 317-784-3008 for more information on commercial fire damage.
What would you do?
Fire Cleanup & Restoration
What would you do if...
You receive a call from a client today with a fire loss?
You have a fire loss on one of your properties?
You have a fire at your own personal property?
Fire claims spike during the months of November - February.
On average, Fire causes over $12.4 billion in property damage annualy.
Top 5 Causes of Fire loss:
Electrical distribution & lighting equipment
After the fire is out...
You need a company "Like SERVPRO"
Industry research from 2016 by Buntin Group found that SERVPRO Brand is becoming synonymous with the services provided!
Why not a Contractor?
Mitigate, clean, & restore FIRST! Then repair and rebuild.
SERVPRO of Indianapolis South can handle it all -One Stop Shop.
By the way...
WE DO BOARDUP!
Many times, the home or building must be secured immediately BEFORE anything else.
Call SERVPRO of Indianapolis South at 317-784-3008.
Does Your Business Fire Loss Need Air Purification?
After Fire Damage
Smoke smells and smoke damage are present in the air after a fire, which will require removal purifying. A restoration company will employ a variety of techniques to clean and sanitize the air so that the property can be usable once again. Fire damage restoration cannot be complete without a complete purification of the air.
A fire in a business can extensively damage drywall or paint, which will need to be restored last once all other damage is handled. Once the smoke smell is completely removed, fire cleanup and be completed with aesthetic touches. Complete fire damage restoration will leave the property completely usable. Commercial fire damage is reversed to the point where business can resume as usual, "Like it never even happened."
The stability provided by a restoration company after a fire in a home or a fire in a business is incomparable to that of an individual handling the situation by him- or herself. Fire cleanup is a complicated task that requires specialized equipment and multiple technicians depending on the extent of the fire damage. It is almost impossible to reverse commercial fire damage without help. Whether it is just to board up the property or to remove all the water from firefighting, a company takes on a lot of the burden, providing stability to a shaken individual.
Call us at
SERVPRO of Indianapolis South
Ways to Prevent a Water Loss before a rainstorm
Preparing Your Residence for Spring/Summer Showers and Water Damage
Rain, rain, go away. We all know the months are coming when we will start to think of these words to that childhood song. Rain is necessary to nourish flowers and trees, and that’s great! But sometimes all that water can cause damage to your home or business.
Is your Bargersville residence ready? Let’s talk about ways to prepare.
- Take a look at rain gutters. Clogged gutters will cause rainwater to backup, damaging your roof and walls.
- Do a roof inspection. Are any shingles loose or damaged? Replace any that could be an issue to protect attic or work space from water damage.
- Check interior walls and ceilings for signs of water damage; this could be an indication of roof leaks.
- Trim any trees and bushes next to your residence. Be sure to cut back branches that could become waterlogged and break off, damaging property.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are secure, and that weather-stripping is in good condition.
- Look for water collecting around the foundation of your Bargersville residence, and take steps to redirect it, if needed, to avoid water damage.
- If your home is located near flooding areas, stockpiling sandbags to protect your property and parking areas would be a good idea.
- Any erosion on your property will need to be handled before the rains come so that your home won’t suffer from mudslides.
- Make sure the city drains near your residence are clear of debris and earth.
Preparedness in the event of any kind of extreme weather is always a good idea, to protect your home and property from loss and damage. Taking the time to assess your situation and thinking ahead about what may come is a good way to keep your investment secure.
Call our team at SERVPRO of Indianapolis South anytime, whether you need assistance with water damage, fire damage or mold prevention.
Let us see you through your Water Loss
What is Water Loss Mitigation?
Chances are, IF you ever experience a water loss in your Johnson County Home and find yourself in need of the services of SERVPRO of Indianapolis South, it will probably be the ONLY time that you need us for such a mitigation. We have ONE chance to make a positive impact in your life and provide the personal, professional service that we strive for every day.
So How Do We Do It...?
Once we arrive on-site, one of the first steps in evaluating the damage at your home or business is to understand the situation based on your first-hand account and walk the affected areas with you to do a visual inspection and note any safety concerns, etc. Once we gauge the types of materials that are affected, we use the appropriate type of moisture meter to map out the extent of the damage. We also take some atmospheric measurements that are essential to properly dry the space, including relative humidity and temperature. All of these data contribute to a strategy that may involve:
- extraction of standing water, or water soaked into carpets or other materials
- demolition of non-salvageable materials, such as carpet, drywall, or baseboard
- setting up specialized drying equipment such as dehumidifiers and air movers in a specific and strategic way to optimize air flow and to promote drying
When the Dust Settles...
The average dry time for most residential and small commercial water damages is three to five days - but we don't just set our equipment and forget it! Our skilled technicians return daily to monitor the equipment and to make sure that our drying plan is going accordingly.
Long Story, Made Short...
We at SERVPRO of Indianapolis South are committed to seeing your loss through, from the moment we set foot on-site until the last efforts are made to restore your home or business to a safe, clean, healthy state - "Like it never even happened."
Call us today at 317-784-3008.
Moisture and Mold Prevention and Control Tips
Moisture Control is the Key to Mold Control
- When water leaks or spills occur indoors - act quickly. If wet or damp materials or areas are dried 24-48 hours after a leak or spill happens, in most cases mold will not grow.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from the building foundation, so that water does not enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. If possible, keep indoor humidity below 60 percent (ideally between 30 and 50 percent) relative humidity. Relative humidity can be measured with a moisture or humidity meter, a small, inexpensive ($10-$50) instrument available at many hardware stores.
- If you see condensation or moisture collecting on windows, walls or pipes act quickly to dry the wet surface and reduce the moisture/water source. Condensation can be a sign of high humidity.
Actions that will help to reduce humidity
- Vent appliances that produce moisture, such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside where possible. (Combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.)
- Use air conditioners and/or de-humidifiers when needed.
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering. Use exhaust fans or open windows whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or dishwashing, etc.
Actions that will help prevent condensation
- Reduce the humidity.
- Increase ventilation or air movement by opening doors and/or windows, when practical. Use fans as needed.
- Cover cold surfaces, such as cold water pipes, with insulation.
- Increase air temperature.
Call SERVPRO of Indianapolis South
Posted by EPA at https://www.epa.gov/mold/brief-guide-mold-moisture-and-your-home
Beautiful Chamber Day for SERVPRO Family Graduation Open House
Congratulations to Madi Schnurpel, Center Grove Class of 2018!
It was a beautiful Chamber Day for Madi Schnurpel's Center Grove High School Graduation open house! SERVPRO Franchise Owner's, Cindy and Neal, welcomed many guests with a great spread of food, drinks, and memories. Congratulations to the entire family as Madi prepares for her next journey to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Prescott, Arizona.
Your Belongings and Water or Smoke Damage in Center Grove
Let our SERVPRO Professionals provide the Calm in your Chaos
SERVPRO of Indianapolis South Professionals specializes in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Their expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. They pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. SERVPRO Professionals utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
If your home requires extensive restoration or cleaning, SERVPRO of Indianapolis South Professionals can conduct an organized, efficient move-out of the affected area. Move-out will provide several benefits, including:
- A quicker remodeling process
- Protecting items from potential damage
- Protecting contents from further on-site damage
When restoration is completed, they will work with you to coordinate the move-in according to your needs. The services offered upon move-in may depend on your insurance coverage.
CALL SERVPRO of Indianapolis South 317-784-3008
Conditions in Greenwood Might Be Right For Mold
SERVPRO of Indianapolis South knows what to do if mold grows in your home
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Indianapolis South to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at